Home remodeling is an investment—in time and money—so it’s no wonder homeowners want to protect that investment by hiring a contractor. Unfortunately, not all contractors are true professionals, and selecting the wrong one can lead to a disastrous home remodel. With dozens of options to choose from, it can be hard to determine who you can trust. So how can you separate the good from the bad and know if a contractor is reliable?
Here are some warning signs to look out for when researching or speaking with a contractor. If they met any of these signs, you should be very cautious of hiring them for your home remodeling project.
Contractor Red Flags
- They solicit work door to door.
- They only accept cash.
- They ask for the full payment upfront without a detailed quote.
- They will not provide you with a contract.
- They will not provide you with their license or certificate of insurance
- They will not provide you with current references.
- Their bid is significantly lower than other bids.
- They do not respond promptly and won’t answer your questions.
- They ask you to get the necessary permits.
- You cannot find any information about them online.
Making the Right Choice
Choosing a reliable contractor is one of the best decisions you can make when starting your next home remodeling project. Professional home remodelers are experts at what they do and can save you time, money, and sanity. When your project is complete, you’ll have peace of mind knowing it was done correctly.
If you’re looking for a dependable home remodeler in Newport News, Yorktown, or York County, consider Criner Remodeling. We are a licensed and insured Class A contractor that has earned numerous distinctions, including Graduate Master Remodeler, Graduate Master Builder, Certified Aging-In-Place Specialist, and Certified Green Professional. Over the last four decades, we have completed hundreds of home remodeling projects throughout Hampton Roads. From concept to delivery, we combine exquisite design, exacting quality standards, and unparalleled customer service. Contact us today to learn firsthand why our team is considered one of the most reputable local contractors.