As we continue to shelter at home during the Coronavirus pandemic, homeowners throughout Newport News, Poquoson, York County and Yorktown are ready to embark on home improvement projects. From upgrading kitchens to creating new home offices, wish lists continue to grow. While taking on a home remodeling project yourself might sound appealing (who doesn’t love an opportunity to channel their inner Chip and Joanna Gaines), it might not be the best decision for your home, your wallet, or your sanity. This National Home Remodeling Month, we encourage you to consider hiring a professional for your next home remodeling project.
Can you DIY or do you need a professional home remodeler?
If you have a major home remodeling project in mind, consider asking yourself these questions before you decide to do-it-yourself:
- Do you have a clear vision for your home remodeling project?
- Have you ever completed a project like this before?
- Do you understand the building codes and permits that are associated with your project?
- Do you have the skills needed to complete the project?
- Do you have access to the tools and materials needed for the project?
- Can you safely perform the labor?
- Do you have the time to complete the project in its entirety?
- Can you financially handle any additional costs that may arise by doing the project yourself?
If you responded no to any of the questions above, then you should consider hiring a professional home remodeler, like Criner Remodeling, to assist you with your project. Professionals have the most up-to-date knowledge of the products, standards, and best practices in the remodeling industry.
Questions to ask your potential home remodeler
Now that you have decided to choose a professional, selecting the right home remodeler for your project is the next step. Consider asking your potential home remodelers these questions to find the best fit for you:
- Am I in your service area?
- How long have you been in business?
- How often do you perform projects similar to mine?
- What are your primary services?
- What licenses, registrations and certifications do you hold?
- What is your process?
- How do you prepare estimates?
- What is your process for selecting quality subcontractors and tradesmen?
- Will I have a dedicated team working on my job the entire time?
- What are your safety protocols?
- What are your safety protocols specific to the Coronavirus?
- Why should I choose your company?
- Do you have references I can contact?
If you’re ready to skip the DIY stress and hire a professional for your next home remodeling project, contact Criner Remodeling to schedule your free consultation. We would be glad to answer any of your questions to assure you we are the right team to bring your remodeling visions to life.