When it is time to remodel a room in the home, it is always a good idea to get the most energy efficient appliances and fixtures available. This not only saves energy, but can save the homeowner money as well. What many people do not know is that there are government grants available for homeowners who make energy efficient home improvements.

For these remodels, it is best to have the work done by a certified green professional. This is a contractor who will ensure that everything is done in the most efficient way with the correct materials and elements. This is a designation that is done by the National Association of Home Builders (NAHB). To become certified, a person must have at least two years of home building experience and adhere to the Code of Ethics set forth by the NAHB. This includes such things as promising to protect the consumer, keep the environmental impact to a minimum, and promote green building practices. These professionals will be able to provide the service that is needed when it comes to being eligible for government grants.

The US Department of Energy is a good place to start when it comes to available information on grants. With most of these, though, there is usually a lengthy application process that can be somewhat confusing. Having the assistance of an NAHB green building expert who has done grant work before is helpful.

When it comes to a kitchen remodel design or having any work done in the home, it is best to go green and have a certified green professional do the work. By going this route, everything will certainly be done professionally and in a timely and environmentally-conscious manner.

Criner Remodeling has been NAHB-certified since 2008 and has been designated as a certified green professional.