The kitchen of a home is often its literal and metaphorical heart and center. It is the place where families most often congregate to start their days, to share stories, and to enjoy meals and each other’s company. Often, it is the first room of the house that is considered when the idea of remodeling comes up. In Williamsburg, VA, kitchen remodeling often involves the design and the installation of one key element: the perfect kitchen island.
Kitchen islands tend to be one of the most desired accent features of any kitchen and are frequently among popular add-ons to kitchen remodeling. When designing the ideal island for your new kitchen space, there are a few factors that need to be taken into consideration.
- First, how big of an island can you actually have? Measure the space you will have available for your island and make sure to pay attention to how much counter space you will need for appliances and drawer storage, as well as to functionally move around the kitchen.
- Second, choose your materials and countertop. When doing a kitchen remodel, you need to make sure your new area complements the rest of your home and does not look out of place. This will include your new island. Make sure that whatever you choose belongs in your home.
- Lastly, decide what features you want to have. Do you want pull-out drawers? Do you need more cabinet space? Should you have electrical outlets? Decide what you really want and what will be most helpful in your kitchen.
In Williamsburg, VA, kitchen remodeling is a specialty of Criner Remodeling. Since 1977, our company has been a leader in the home remodeling industry. If you would like to schedule an appointment with one of our trained specialists, call us at (757) 868-6200.
Improving a home is one of the most lucrative and rewarding investments a homeowner can undertake. It is rewarding financially and aesthetically. When you decide to go the route of improving a home, there are numerous options to consider for a home improvement in Virginia. A popular new trend is improving homes to add a pet room for the family’s beloved four-legged companions. Here are a few helpful suggestions to this type of addition.
- Cat Paradise – A great idea for pet and home owners is to make a unique space for their cats to romp. It is no secret that cats love to climb. Adding walkways, staircases, and tunnels will give your feline friends a place to spread their paws.
- Doggie Pad – Padded, pillowed floors, boxes of chew toys, and a treat dispenser are just a few of the ways to give your best friend a place to romp and play. Dogs naturally have a great amount of energy to burn off, so adding a room for Fido could be a way to accommodate their needs.
- Aquatic Escape – It has been determined that watching fish swim in a tank is a great way to relieve stress. If you have decided to add a pet room for your home improvement in Virginia, you might want to consider an aquarium room. Whether walls of tanks or just a few bowls, a spot for your fish can be calming, soothing, and rewarding.
No matter which route you choose to go for your home improvement in Virginia, be sure to hire a contractor with the right experience who can complete your project on time and to your complete satisfaction. The trained experts at Criner Remodeling are always on hand to answer any questions you might have. Contact us at (757) 868-6200.
Hiring a home remodeling company can be complicated. Remodeling a home is an important financial decision and should be made after carefully weighing your options. Here are a few tips to help you choose the right company.
- Ask for referrals. Before you do any meetings with any companies, ask people you trust about the businesses they’ve used. Friends, family, co-workers — anyone whose opinion you trust will help guide you down the right path. Be sure to take note of all the experiences that those you talked to have had, both positive and negative.
- Do your research. The Internet has become a boon for information on any and all subjects, including home remodeling. Do a little online digging on the companies you have preliminarily selected. See what certifications they have, what online reviews they’ve garnered, and what types of awards they’ve earned.
- Conduct interviews. After gathering your word-of-mouth and online intelligence, you should then conduct face-to-face (or at the very least, phone-to-phone) interviews with the potential companies. Make sure you come armed with specific questions about your project. It is important to see if the company you choose has actually done the type of work you’re looking for and can answer questions about specific jobs they have done.
- Check their references. Once you’ve narrowed down your candidates, ask them to supply you with a list of references that you can check. This should be past clients or industry workers who have knowledge of the company. You want to do your due diligence and check what these references have to say about them.
Criner Remodeling has been in business for over 35 years and has earned a sterling reputation in the industry as one of the best remodeling companies in the area. Our team of trained experts are always available to meet with potential clients and answer any questions they might have. For more information or to make an appointment, visit us online at www.crinerremodeling.com/contact.
When it comes to remodeling a home, one of the most popular options is adding a bathroom. This type of addition to a home can not only greatly add to the value of your home, but it can also be incredibly practical, depending upon the size and growth of your family. In Virginia, when you’re looking at Hampton bathroom additions, there are number of exciting new ideas and trends to consider. Here are a few:
- One of the most popular bathroom addition ideas is making the new space a spa experience. A whirlpool tub or a steam shower are great ideas for Hampton bathroom additions. They add a touch of luxury to any home.
- In keeping with the luxury theme, a new bathroom addition would be a great opportunity to try out a hot trend: a curbless shower stall. A curbless shower seamlessly integrates into your tiled bathroom floor, adding a sleeker, more modern feel. They also give the illusion of a larger space.
- If you want to go the more traditional route with your addition in terms of a shower/tub, why not include a vanity? A floating vanity would evoke a sleek, futuristic look. They also can remove the “cluttered” appearance. As a bonus, adding lighting fixtures underneath the floating vanity can enhance the illusion of a larger space.
- If you’re going to add a new bathroom to your home, why not go hi-tech with it? If you’re one of the millions of bath time crooners, you will enjoy some of the new tubs and showers that have built-in stereos and radios and speakers. They are way better than the clunky old shower radios from way back when.
- Another popular trend is a freestanding tub. Many homes are now designing their bathrooms to have separate showers and tubs. If you have the space when designing your new addition, consider the luxury of a separate freestanding tub. It looks great and can often serve as an “oasis” for someone looking to get some relaxation.
- When thinking about your addition, how about planning for a little natural light? Giant bay or picture windows are a beautiful way to open up the room and save money on lighting. Larger windows will also help with your utilities in the new room and can make it a focal point of your home.
- Ready for an out-of-the-box kind of idea? A new bathroom addition could have some nice carpeting. If you pick the right texture, what is normally an unthinkable feature in a bathroom could prove to be one that is both unique and comfortable. Carpeting always ties a room together, and for Hampton bathroom additions, this might be what you’re looking for.
- In keeping with the idea of sleekness, try opening up your new bathroom addition with a freestanding sink. There are a number of designs for sinks, from modern to rustic, and one is sure to fit the style of your space.
When deciding on what feature, style, or designs you want for your Hampton bathroom additions, remember to consult with your remodeler or contractor first. They can help you decide what will work best for your budget, for your home, and what will meet the requirements of your city and/or your neighborhood’s homeowners association. The experts here at Criner Remodeling are always available to help you in the process of your bathroom addition. Visit us online for more bathroom addition ideas at www.crinerremodeling.com.
Remodeling a home is a tremendous undertaking, both in terms of financial cost and of time and effort. However, it can be a very rewarding. When you begin the process of home remodeling VA, there are helpful facts to know before starting. Here are a few:
- What’s your budget? Before you begin a project such as home remodeling in VA, it’s crucial that you know exactly what you can spend. Take your time, do your homework, and double-check your figures with your contractor. Ask someone you know, like a close friend or family member, who’s been through a remodel to share with you their figures.
- Find the right contractor for you. When you begin the process of hiring a contractor/remodeling company, choose one that you a) feel comfortable with and b) comes with impeccable references. Ask for references and come prepared to ask many questions.
- Is your project realistic? Almost everyone dreams of the type of remodel that will completely reimagine and reinvigorate a home. However, many times, those dreams are just that. It is important to be realistic about what can actually be done to your home. No need to go spinning your metaphorical wheels on a project that isn’t possible.
- Pay attention to the details. As the old saying goes, the devil is in the details. This is especially true for home remodeling projects. While it is important to be mindful of the big picture, you need to make sure you keep track of the proverbial fine print. For example, make sure you have ordered all the materials needed for your remodel. Confirm this with your contractor, and then re-confirm it!
Remodeling a home is a big event. If you go into it fully prepared, completing your home remodeling VA will have fewer headaches and more pats on the back. For more information or to consult with one of our experts, contact Criner Remodeling at (757) 868-6200, or visit us online at www.crinerremodeling.com.
Criner Remodeling has been in the home remodeling business since 1977. We’ve built our reputation as an industry leader in the Virginia peninsula area by focusing on our specialties, such as custom bathroom remodeling. In fact, we’re known in the area as one of the top companies for handling new bathroom projects, especially additions.
In many cities, including Poquoson, bathroom additions are a popular way to increase value and functionality in a home. Consider these bathroom addition ideas for your next project:
- Depending on the space you’re considering for your addition, installing a whirlpool tub might be the way to go. A whirlpool tub can transform an ordinary bathroom into a spa experience.
- If you’re interested in a more traditional bathroom layout but still want to add flare and excitement, choose modern colors or design patterns for your new space, along with stylish fixtures. Using bright colors and bold designs will not only add character to the room, but they’ll also enhance and invigorate your mood.
- The sink area is often the focal point of a bathroom. For your new addition, make a statement with your sink. Try selecting a daring piece made of all marble, copper, or brushed nickel, and consider innovative fixtures that release water in a creative and interesting way.
- Stand-up showers are always popular in bathroom additions. They add a touch of class and elegance. Your new bathroom addition could feature a waterfall showerhead or a teak bench for relaxing. Why not make your new stand-up shower circular, or even a sauna? The possibilities are endless.
When it comes to Poquoson bathroom additions, Criner Remodeling is truly the leader in our industry. Our bathroom addition designs have won numerous awards, and our staff members are available to help you during every step of the process. For more information or to schedule an appointment, please feel free to contact us at (757) 868-6200.
Remodeling a home is one of the most exciting and rewarding endeavors a homeowner can undertake. A home remodel not only adds aesthetic value to your home, but it also instills a sense of pride, and more tangibly, increases your home’s value. When choosing a company to handle your Hampton Roads home remodeling, make sure you select one that comes highly recommended and also has a trusted reputation in the industry, such as Criner Remodeling.
Criner Remodeling has been in the business of renovating and remodeling homes in Virginia for nearly four decades. We’ve won numerous awards in the industry, specializing in custom bathroom and kitchen remodeling plans. And it’s been our mission since the beginning to provide our clients with top-quality work done on time and to their specifications.
Our custom designs are highly innovative and have frequently been lauded and cited for industry awards. We were named 2012 Remodeler of the Year by the National Association of Home Builders, and we were the first recipient of the National Remodeling Quality Award. To date, we have earned over 100 such industry awards recognizing not only our designs, but our commitment to quality.
Providing custom designs has been a hallmark of Criner Remodeling since it was founded in 1977. As a certified general contractor, our company has a team of trained professionals on our staff who are guaranteed to meet your demands and ensure your project turns out exactly as you had envisioned.
Located in the heart of the Virginia peninsula, Criner Remodeling is ready to handle your Hampton Roads home remodeling project. We’ll give your project the full attention that it needs and ensure you’re satisfied every step of the way. For more information or to speak to one of our professionals, please contact our office at (757) 868-6200 today.
Undertaking a home renovation is a major decision. There are a host of questions that must be answered before making this decision. In Williamsburg, VA, bathroom renovation is one of our specialties at Criner Remodeling. Our experts have been involved with countless bathroom renovations and can help meet your needs. Before starting though, it’s helpful to consider the following questions.
Does a bathroom renovation add value to my home?
According to the National Association of Home Builders, you can probably never go wrong with adding or renovating a bathroom. This type of feature can add value to your home in equity. However, if you’re looking to recoup the cost by reselling, you need to do your homework.
Does my home have balance?
Home buyers tend to prefer a home in which the number of bathrooms is roughly equal to the number of bedrooms. Additions that bring bathrooms in line with the bedroom count tend to sell better on the housing market. Another area where additions need to balance out is in the number of tubs versus the number of showers. Most real estate experts agree you should have one of each in your home.
Will my renovation or addition fit with my neighborhood?
Before undertaking the process of renovating or adding a bathroom in your home, it’s important to determine where your house “stands” within your neighborhood. Can your home support an increase in value? If your home is already one of the nicest ones in your neighborhood, will renovating or adding a new bathroom significantly increase the value of your home? It’s also important to determine what your home is valued at and what it’s expected to be valued at in the future.
A good rule of thumb to consider is only adding a bathroom to your home if you are a) planning to resell it in the next 12-24 months or 2) planning on staying in your home beyond five years. Regardless, when you decide on a Williamsburg, VA, bathroom renovation, it’s important to consult with a trusted professional in the industry like Criner Remodeling. Contact us for more information or to make an appointment with one of our trained professionals.
There’s never been a more exciting time to remodel your home than right now. Here in Newport News home remodeling is also experiencing this excitement. There are several new trends in the industry for those who want to take part in this new wave of home remodeling.
If you’re thinking of remodeling your home soon, here are some new ideas to think about for your upcoming project:
- One of the more overlooked areas for a home remodel is the living room, which is typically the busiest room in the house. It’s the de facto meeting room, entertainment room, lounge area, and sometimes bedroom. However, when the topic of remodeling comes up, the living room is not what’s discussed. A way to liven up any living room remodel is to lower the floor, creating a conversation pit. A bi-level living room is not only an interesting addition, but also one that adds coziness to any home.
- Another overlooked area of many homes is the attic. Often used as space for storage, the attic is usually the last place thought of when it comes to remodeling. However, this space can be transformed into a cozy nook, a pillow room, a reading room, or simply an additional bedroom.
- Another new development in Newport News home remodeling is the staircase. A home’s staircase is a very underutilized space, and there are several ways someone can remodel. A staircase can be changed into a unique way of displaying books, art, media, and more by adding shelving underneath the stairs. The space underneath the stairs can also be converted into a unique storage area. Both options are practical and instantly add character to a home.
When you ultimately decide which way you want to remodel your home, it’s important to choose a company with experience and that is trustworthy. When it comes to Newport News home remodeling companies, Criner Remodeling has one of the best reputations in the industry. If you have questions about your project, contact us online, and one of our trained experts will be happy to assist you.
A new year is always an exciting time. Flush from making resolutions, it’s a time of optimism and high energy. Many choose to use the new year to make not only personal changes, but also material ones to their homes. In Hampton Roads, bathroom additions are one of the more popular ways to add value to a home.
Here are some bathroom trends to be on the lookout for in 2016:
- Many homeowners are choosing to upgrade their bathrooms by going big. Larger shower spaces with all the proverbial bells and whistles are a hot trend. This includes adding rainwater or multi-spray shower heads and aromatherapy steam showers. Another trend is adding built-in containers in which you can pre-load your favorite shampoos, soaps, and conditioners into easy to use dispensers. Adding seating areas to a big shower space is also a popular shower addition.
- Freestanding sinks and tubs are also one of the hottest trends in bathroom additions. A freestanding tub or sink gives your bathroom a sleek, modern appearance, whether done in traditional white, subtle gray, or striking black. Adding a sunken, freestanding tub takes this to another level. You could even cap it off with a whirlpool tub to make this addition even better.
- Another hot trend is opening up a bathroom addition to the outside world. If there’s one golden rule about architecture, it’s to give the space a view. One of the trends for bathroom additions has been adding large windows or even entire glass walls to open up the space to the outside.
Most real estate experts also agree that, when it comes to bathrooms, it’s truly a numbers game. Adding on a new bathroom can only increase the value of your home. For Hampton Roads bathroom additions, go with the tried-and-true experts at Criner Remodeling. We’ve been in the industry for over 35 years and have the experience and creativity to get the job done right. Contact us today, and let’s work together to help make your 2016 addition a reality.