A new year is always an exciting time. Flush from making resolutions, it’s a time of optimism and high energy. Many choose to use the new year to make not only personal changes, but also material ones to their homes. In Hampton Roads, bathroom additions are one of the more popular ways to add value to a home.
Here are some bathroom trends to be on the lookout for in 2016:
- Many homeowners are choosing to upgrade their bathrooms by going big. Larger shower spaces with all the proverbial bells and whistles are a hot trend. This includes adding rainwater or multi-spray shower heads and aromatherapy steam showers. Another trend is adding built-in containers in which you can pre-load your favorite shampoos, soaps, and conditioners into easy to use dispensers. Adding seating areas to a big shower space is also a popular shower addition.
- Freestanding sinks and tubs are also one of the hottest trends in bathroom additions. A freestanding tub or sink gives your bathroom a sleek, modern appearance, whether done in traditional white, subtle gray, or striking black. Adding a sunken, freestanding tub takes this to another level. You could even cap it off with a whirlpool tub to make this addition even better.
- Another hot trend is opening up a bathroom addition to the outside world. If there’s one golden rule about architecture, it’s to give the space a view. One of the trends for bathroom additions has been adding large windows or even entire glass walls to open up the space to the outside.
Most real estate experts also agree that, when it comes to bathrooms, it’s truly a numbers game. Adding on a new bathroom can only increase the value of your home. For Hampton Roads bathroom additions, go with the tried-and-true experts at Criner Remodeling. We’ve been in the industry for over 35 years and have the experience and creativity to get the job done right. Contact us today, and let’s work together to help make your 2016 addition a reality.
Remodeling a home is an exciting endeavor. A home remodel adds value to your home both financially and aesthetically. It can also be a source of tremendous pride for you as the homeowner. One of the most popular home areas to remodel is the kitchen, the metaphorical heart of nearly every home. When choosing a kitchen remodeling company, it’s important to choose one you confidently trust will fulfill the requirements of the job.
How to Choose the Right Company
When deciding on a kitchen remodeling company, it’s best to examine a number of factors before making your final selection. For instance, what is the company’s track record? At Criner Remodeling, we’ve been involved in the home improvement industry since 1977. For over 35 years, our company has been one of the most trusted, go-to experts in residential remodeling in the area. Criner has built a reputation as one of the most trustworthy companies in the industry.
In addition, research whether the kitchen remodeling company performs quality, outstanding work. At Criner Remodeling, we take pride in both our innovative designs and being known as one of the best home remodelers in the industry. We’ve been recognized for our excellence with several industry awards, including being the recipient of the first National Remodeling Quality Award, the Remodeler of the Year Award four times, and numerous showcase awards.
The kitchen remodeling company you select for your project should be one that pays attention to details, is transparent, and is willing to work with you to fulfill your vision and give you the kitchen you desire. At Criner, we make it a point to honor the agreed-upon schedule and finish projects on time. Our clients receive a full, detailed list of specifications that outline each facet of the project. For more information or to consult with one of our representatives, please contact us.
Depending on local regulations where you live, kitchen remodeling companies and contractors may be required to register with the local or state governments and/or obtain a special license or certification. When it comes time for you to hire a company to handle your kitchen remodel, it’s wise to hire one that is certified.
Choosing a company that is certified—such as Criner Remodeling, which is a Class-A licensed contractor by the state of Virginia and certified in lead safety, green building principles, and the Graduate Remodeler Program—ensures that the work done on your remodel is performed by highly skilled workers in a professional manner, and that the company is more reliable, knowledgeable, and ethical.
In some states, remodelers must pass licensing exams on a variety of subjects, including home improvement, business, and labor laws. Selecting a company with these types of licenses will help ensure your job is done correctly and meets your needs and budget requirements.
It’s also advisable to seek out a company with certification from the National Association of Home Builders (NAHB). A certification from this governing organization signifies that the company has dedicated professionals who are interested in improving their levels of expertise. Some of the certifications offered by NAHB include Certified Graduate Remodeler, Certified Aging-in-Place Specialist, Master Certified Green Professional, and Graduate Master Builder. You can also search the NAHB’s remodeler database for a qualified, ethical professional in your area.
Criner Can Help
While seeking out remodelers, have you found that your potential kitchen remodeling companies aren’t properly certified? At Criner, we’ve been in the remodeling industry since 1977 and have worked hard to obtain our certifications. We’ll be happy to answer any questions you may have and provide an estimate for your next project. Please contact us at (757) 868-6200 today for more information.
Remodeling your home can be a significant undertaking, and deserves to be carefully thought out. Before even beginning the process, there’s one crucial decision that has to be made: selecting the company that will perform your remodeling work. Choosing among the many Williamsburg, VA remodeling companies can be a daunting task. However, going in armed with knowledge and the right questions to ask should make your decision easier.
Consider the following:
- Before starting the meeting process with any company, ask for referrals. Word-of-mouth is often the best form of advertising and is better than any paid celebrity endorsement. Ask around to your friends, your family, and your coworkers; see who’s had work done on their homes and ask about their positive and negative experiences.
- After you’ve gathered your recommendations, start researching online for credentials. It’s important to know whether the person or company you select for the job has all the necessary certifications and licenses. Looking for designations from professional organizations such as the National Kitchen & Bath Association, the National Association of the Remodeling Industry, and the National Association of Home Builders is also recommended.
- Once your research is complete, it’s time to begin the interviewing process. Narrow down your candidates, set up your meetings, and have a specific list of questions you need answered. It’s also important to be specific with the candidates about what you want done with your remodeling job; likewise, be prepared to answer your candidate’s questions. This is actually a good thing; they should have plenty of questions for you about this project.
- One of your last steps is to check their references. Ask to see or speak to some of their previous customers. When speaking to them, ask about their experience with the job. Did the project run on schedule? Did it go over budget? Were they pleased with the work? Was there anything that should’ve been done differently?
Remember when you hire a remodeling company, you’re contracting a service and not buying a product. Choosing between Williamsburg, VA remodeling companies doesn’t have to be burdensome. Companies such as Criner Remodeling also offer free initial consultations. Scheduling an appointment to talk and review your options can be beneficial in your decision making.
If you’re a homeowner, the decision of whether to upgrade your home has probably been on your mind a time or two. A number of factors must be worked through before ultimately deciding if adding on to your house is ideal.
Here are a few questions to consider when weighing a home additions remodeling:
- How would you design your house if you were starting over from scratch? When deciding upon an addition, it’s often difficult to see beyond what already exists with your home. Try and envision your home as if you were building it brand new. This will help you determine what you really want.
- Will your new addition add significant value to your home? Regardless of how long you plan on staying in your home—whether it’s three years or 30—one day, you might want to either sell it, refinance it, or take a home equity loan on it. Home additions are often some of the most expensive remodeling projects, so it’s important to establish beforehand whether or not your addition will turn a profit on this investment.
- How will your addition “tie in” to the rest of your house? Adding on to a home can be tricky to navigate, since it needs to blend in with your existing structure. Some factors to consider: the roofline of the addition should match your existing structure, the addition should complement the existing finish, and the addition should be a functional space.
- What are you looking to spend on your addition? Knowing your budget down to the penny is key in deciding what you want for this type of remodeling job. Do your research; online sites can provide an average of what an addition will typically cost you.
Before you make your decision about your home additions remodeling, be sure to consult an expert. Specialists in the field such as Criner Remodeling, which has been in business since 1977, can answer your questions.
Remodeling a home is one of the more exciting endeavors you can undertake as an owner. This type of project can also be very rewarding not just aesthetically, but financially too. When deciding to remodel a home, one of the first decisions to make should be whether your situation is right for home additions. Remodeling your home by adding a new bedroom, sunroom, or bathroom can be the best investment you can make in your residence.
Here are a few ideas to consider when making your decision:
- When adding on to the exterior of your home, consider using a different material. This idea is especially convenient when adding on to the rear of your home. Rather than trying to match the existing brick or wood, using a different material can make for a good contrast and work for adding on whatever type of room you decide upon.
- Rather than have your addition be one large “block,” consider breaking it into pieces. A large addition can often overwhelm the existing structure, so break it into relating “pieces,” such as a multi-gabled roof.
- When deciding on the addition, it might be wise to go bold. If adding a sunroom, why not make it a centerpiece of your home—choosing a modern, sleek design with lots of glass, natural lighting, and open space. Your addition should be the crown jewel of your home.
- In keeping with the “go bold” theme, if you have the space on your property, try stretching out your addition. The advantage of going long with your addition is to make what could be simply a big addition a massive one. Having this type of addition to your home can add not only to your home’s value, but also open up the living space and give you and your family more options.
Home additions remodeling can be the best investment you make in your home. When you ultimately decide what you want for your addition, consider consulting with a reliable industry professional, such as Criner Remodeling.
So, after months of research and talking and planning, you’ve finally made the decision to remodel your home. At this point, it’s important to find the right contractor or remodeling company who can meet your needs. Many home remodeling companies will schedule initial meetings with you at no cost.
In these meetings, it’s important to have a list of the questions that you need answered, such as the following five:
- “How long have you been doing business in our community?” If a company has been doing business in the area for five to ten years, then that company is familiar with building regulations and city and county building codes. They are also more apt to have connections to local, reliable subcontractors.
- “What type of project management services do you provide?” Home remodeling companies vary greatly in the types of services they offer. It’s vital to know what your selected company will provide. Will the company manage the project? Will it hire the contractors and subcontractors? Will it review the invoices to ensure work that has not been completed is not paid? Will it complete the paperwork for the necessary permits? Knowing what services are offered will make your life vastly easier.
- “Who are your suppliers?” While this question may seem trivial, asking who the company’s suppliers are is also important. This can serve as an overall gauge of the company’s reliability. Who supplies their tile? Their lumber? Their plumbing materials? If you’re willing to take the extra step—which is highly encouraged—you can even contact these companies and ask them about the remodeling company’s reputation.
- “Who will be the project’s foreman?” Who will be in charge on-site during your remodeling project? It would be more than appropriate for you to ask to actually meet this person before signing any paperwork. This person will be your day-to-day contact for the entirety of the remodel, and it’s important that you are comfortable with them.
- “How will I be charged for this project?” This is the most important question of all to ask. Will the bid be an estimate or a fixed price? Will you be billed monthly? Quarterly? What will happen if the project runs over budget?
These are all important and necessary questions to ask when making your selection from all the different home remodeling companies. We hope you’ll consider Criner Remodeling for your upcoming project. For further information, please contact us.
Remodeling your home is an important investment. The cost, the time, and the details are all important to ensuring the project’s success. In Williamsburg, VA, home remodeling services are numerous, but how do you select the company that best meets your needs?
Consider the following when choosing Williamsburg, VA home remodeling services:
- Resources in the area can help you select the right business for your project. Sites such as the Better Business Bureau allow you to research a company to ensure it works for your needs. It’s important to do your homework. Read the reviews from others who have used the companies and their services. However, also take these reviews with a proverbial grain of salt.
- Once you’ve narrowed down your list of potential companies, it’s important to vet them in person and share your vision for the remodel. Be prepared to ask questions as well. If you’ve reached the decision to remodel your home, you’ve more than likely been thinking about it for some time, and questions are bound to pop up. Write them down and have them ready for your meeting. Last but not least, make sure the company you select meets your expectations in terms of cost and the timeline.
Also, before beginning the remodeling work, it’s important to research what the city and your neighborhood will actually allow you to do. Some homeowners associations limit the amount of work that can be done on homes under their jurisdictions.
Again, remodeling a home is an enormous undertaking. In Williamsburg, VA, home remodeling businesses like Criner Remodeling—which has been in the home remodeling business since 1977—are willing and able to meet your demands. If you do your research, the experience should be one that is both beneficial and satisfying. For more information, please contact us.
One of the most common improvements to a home is a room addition. In Newport News, home bathroom additions are one of the more popular remodeling requests that companies and contractors are asked about.
If you’re thinking about adding a bathroom to your home, here are four ideas that you might consider:
- Adding a whirlpool bathtub to your home as part of the addition can transform this from a simple project into something grand. A whirlpool tub can transform a regular bathroom into a spa-like experience for you and your family. This will also significantly add to the value of your home.
- Incorporate soothing colors into your new bathroom design. Adding a traditional calming color, such as a beige or light blue, can give your new addition a similar spa-like atmosphere. Cooler colors such as lighter greens or whites are also soothing.
- One of the most forgotten areas of a bathroom is also where people spend a lot of their time. Your bathroom’s countertop is like an old friend who is always there for you, so why not make it the star of your new addition? There are a wide range of decorative and stylish countertops to choose from. Ceramic, wood, granite, and composite rock would all be eye-catching choices for your new countertop.
- Why not upgrade your sink as well? Making a statement with your choice of sink is a bold way to highlight your addition. A pedestal-style sink is ideal for smaller additions, while vessel sinks are dramatic and can give your new bathroom a sleek, modern feel. Choose a style that suits not only you and your family’s needs, but one that fits your personality as well.
Adding a bathroom is one of the most exciting prospects a homeowner can undertake. Taking something that is yours and making it better can be rewarding not only financially as an investment, but aesthetically as well. In Newport News, home bathroom additions are a specialty of Criner Remodeling. Be sure to consult with us before you start your project.
There are lots of reasons for someone to handle their own home remodeling projects. In fact, entire industries are devoted to helping “weekend warriors” tackle their own do-it-yourself projects. However, while this might be a great way to save money and enjoy a sense of satisfaction, there are still some projects you simply shouldn’t attempt without professional assistance. For example, these are the home remodeling projects Virginia homeowners shouldn’t undertake on their own:
- Resurfacing hardwood floors. One of the most desired features in a home is lovely hardwood floors. However, due to their nature, this type of flooring often becomes scuffed and scarred with use. Resurfacing them is extremely labor intensive and potentially hazardous, since it will kick up vast amounts of dust, as well as expose nails. That’s why this frustrating job should be left to the professionals.
- Building a retaining wall. The Internet is littered with videos of what happens when an under-supported wall collapses. This usually happens when walls aren’t properly built. To do so requires special tools, supplies, and equipment. It can be a costly endeavor to try and build a retaining wall by yourself, but it can be even costlier and dangerous if it collapses on you or a loved one. Hire a professional to do the job, and save yourself a headache.
- Installing a gas fireplace. The smallest, slightest leak in any of the connections of a gas fireplace can be disastrous. This is definitely a job that should be handled by a professional for the safety of you, your family, and your neighbors. No matter how confident you are, this is and always will be a job that should only be tackled by a trained, licensed professional with years of experience.
- Removing lead-based paint. This is another task that is above the average DIY-ers pay grade. Lead is extremely poisonous, and ingesting this element can damage kidneys, lead to hearing loss, and severely impede the growth and development of children. Homes are no longer painted with this type of paint, but there are still homes on the market where the paint exists and may need to be stripped. The cost to remove this is substantial, but the risk far outweighs the rewards of doing it yourself.
Undertaking home improvement projects is a decision that should be carefully thought out and planned. Hiring the experts at Criner Remodeling for your home remodeling projects in Virginia will ensure that your ideas are carried out to the highest standards and you are fully satisfied with the outcome. For more information, please contact our offices at (757) 868-6200.